Monastic botanical circuit
Camping Mougás is preparing a Monastic Botanical Circuit, signposting interesting medicinal, ornamental and aromatic plants found in the surroundings. The area’s first herbalists go back to the time of the Assyrians, Babylonians and Phoenicians. The last ones on the list arrived in Oia about 4,000 years ago, as demonstrated by a petroglyph depicting a boat, which is located in the Vilar de Pedornes riverbed (Oia).
Records show that monasteries took over from the 11th century onwards, establishing large botanical gardens. They mainly grew local plants, although they also brought some from distant lands by means of pilgrims and monks.
Christian charity gave rise to hospitals, located beside the monasteries, with the monks looking after the sick. The first documentary proof of Oia Monastery’s hospital dates from 1295. Since then, our locality has enjoyed an incredible variety of plant species, brought from all over the world.
The following photos feature the rockery housing the Monastic Botanical Circuit: mint, lemon balm and flowering parsley.
When you come, do not forget to visit the circuit. It is a lovely walk, surrounded by flowering plants.